Meal planning seems to be all the rage these days. It doesn’t matter if you do it all yourself on Sunday evenings or if you do it nightly with the help of a meal subscription service like Blue Apron or Meez Meals, there is no doubt that people are looking to make their mealtimes easier. Other options such as joining a local food co-op or signing up for a protein subscription box are also becoming more and more popular. Recently I was introduced to a company called Butcher Box, a service that partners with a collective of small farms to bring you 100% grass-fed beef, organic chicken, and all-natural pork each month.
For $129/month you receive 7-10 lbs of meat, which is enough for at least 20 individual size meals (at a 5 – 8oz portion size). Which works out to $6.50/meal and shipping is free! You can choose between an all-beef box, beef and pork, beef and chicken or a mixed box with all three.
I decided to try out the mixed box which came with ground beef, thinly sliced beef, bone-in pork chops, chicken thighs, bacon, and sirloin tips. So far I’ve made five different recipes using meat from the box and every dish has been better than the last. I’ve also made sure to cook and taste each of the products on their own before adding them into a recipe and I could really notice a quality difference compared to what you may just pick up at your local grocery store. And you know what, my grocery trips have been significantly shorter and less expensive since all that I’m really buying is produce and pantry items!
Below was our favorite recipe we created! It even got a “damn good” (the highest food compliment) from Jeremy. I swear it’s tastier than it looks!
Shredded Beef Sandwich with Peppers, Onions, Goat Cheese and Balsamic Aioli
- Butcher Box thinly sliced beef (1lb)
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tbs mayo
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Loaf French bread
- Defrost thinly sliced beef
- Marinate meat for up to 24 hours with your favorite marinade
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat and coat lightly with olive oil
- Cut French bread into six inch sandwiches and slice in half
- Spread goat cheese on bottom half of sandwich
- Mix mayo and balsamic together in a small bowl and spread on top half of sandwich
- Add beef in skillet in one-layer cooking for 3 minutes on each side
- Remove beef and add onions and peppers, cook about 10 minutes until caramelized
- Load up your sandwich with beef, peppers and onions
Butcher Box provided me a free box to try, but all opinions are my own.